Technical solutions exist to automate the process of detecting unauthorized wireless access points on a network. These solutions generally work by monitoring radio frequencies to detect new wireless networks and/or monitoring the wired network for wireless access points. Sometimes these features are built into the same equipment that provides the authorized wireless networks.
A manual process can also be developed to meet this PCI DSS requirement. The manual process usually consists of:
· Maintaining an inventory of known wireless networks.
· Scanning for wireless access points throughout the physical property with specialized equipment and/or software.
· Correlating identified networks with maintained lists of known internal and adjacent wireless networks.
· Sometimes, reviewing the MAC addresses known to wired networks.
· Investigating unknown networks
The development and/or implementation of the manual process can be outsourced to firms with appropriate expertise. This option is desirable when internal resources lack the skills or time to accomplish.
Ad below this line: